Monday, December 26, 2005

Grandma Gilmore's Birthday

My Grandma, Mildred Woolsey Gilmore would have been 102 today. I loved talking to my Grandma. She had so many interesting stories to tell. She was a tough lady who worked most of her life. She raised 7 kids almost on her own during the depression. She was born in Thatcher Arizona before it was even a state. She grew up on a ranch in Safford, AZ. Her Dad had the first car ever in the Gila River Valley. She married the school teacher's son, Percy Gilmore, when she was only 16 and moved to California. My kids had the good fortune to know their great grandma too. Her family line was the one who joined the Church in Kentucky and moved to Nauvoo and traveled West to Utah with the Saints. Her grandma was one of our favorite pioneers, Mary Larsen, from Denmark. I think it's neat that she knew Mary Larsen, and we knew Grandma... there is a link there. I always thought it was terrible Grandma's birthday was the day after Christmas. Getting all her presents at the same time during the year, but we always tried to have a separate celebration and give her birthday gifts in addition to christmas gifts. She died at the age of 93 and really wanted to live to see the year 2000, but didn't make it, but she had a great life never the less. She lived at home, independently, until the day she died. I use to be amazed when I would see her on the streets of Lakewood in her orange mustang, driving, well into her 90s. I hope I live as long and can take care of myself at that age. Happy Birthday, Grandma!

No comments: