Wednesday, December 07, 2005

75th Birthday- Pearl Harbor Day

If my Dad was alive he would have been 75 today. Happy Birthday, Pops! He died young at age 54 with ALS, or more commonly known as Lou Gehrigs Disease. That was a crazy year. I had only been home off my mission to Spain for about a year, got married in April, Dad died in July and then my sister died in a car accident in December of 1984. It started out so wonderfully and ended out so bad. My Dad was the smartest man I ever knew. I wish I was half as smart as him. But he also had a bad temper. When I lose my temper, "watch out"!, but at least I have a long fuse. The older I get, and when I look in the mirror, I think I look so much like him. I didn't think so when I was younger, but now I notice my body is just like his. He never got to see his grandkids. Thats the one thing he regretted when he came down with ALS. I regret it too, because he has some wonderful grandkids and he would have been a good grandpa. When i was a kid, I thought he had a cool birthday because it was on Pearl Harbor Day. I really appreciate everything our men and women in the military do for us to protect our freedoms. It's sad that there is so much anti-military media right now. I think we need to do more to support the troops.

No comments: