Saturday, August 18, 2007

Let's go clothes shopping, Sean!

Sean leaves for BYU in little over a week and Page and I had a great idea.... let's take Sean to get some clothes before he heads down to Utah. You see, last Wednesday, when Page and I went to Billings for my bagpipe lessons (yes, I have now had three lessons and I can "throw down a D"!) we stopped at Penny's because Page needed some new work clothes (yes, Page has a new job at the bank in town working in the loan department) and we found that they are having a great sale. Some things were marked down 75%! We saw some great clothes for Sean to look like a new college man. No more t-shirts and ratty jeans....

Well, we took him to Penny's last night. As soon as we get off work at 5 p.m. we rushed him up to Billings, and specifically to Penny's. He asked on the way up if they had those sweaters that have the half zipper on them. I answered, yes, they have everything! Oops, I was wrong. They didn't have those kind of sweaters, and it pretty much went down hill from there. He didn't like the layered look that we saw on the manikins because they were "flannel" shirts. He tried on a sweater, but we talked him out of it. We wanted him to get a vest jacket, and we almost got him to do it, but at the last minute he put it back. He did end up buying two henley's and some t-shirts. You see, we were not paying for the clothes, he was, with his own money. You see, Sean is very frugal with his money and so he wasn't buying hardly anything. If it was our money being used on this shopping spree I think he would have picked up a few more things. Page really wanted him to get some pants, but he only wanted Old Navy jeans, so we quickly headed over to Old Navy before they closed and he bought a pair of jeans and some khaki cargo pants. Page wanted him to buy some green cargo's too, but he didn't want to because it would have taken another $20 from his savings. Page and Sean had a little "discussion"....

While that little battle was going on between Page and Sean, I had to c
huckle because it reminded me of a battle I had with my Mom when I was a kid buying school clothes. She saw on the rack the ugliest pair of yellow cords pants that you have ever seen. I had not seen yellow cords before that, nor have I seen them since. Yet, there they were on the sales rack! (yeah nobody wanted them that's why they were on clearance). My mom fell in love with them and thought I had to have them. I told her no. We got in a little tiff, or "discussion", about them. I was putting my foot down. I mean, I would never wear them so why spend the money on those pants, when I could use that money for something I would actually wear. Why couldn't we get brown or blue cords like everyone else? Well, my mom had a melt down and right then and there with a cart full of my school clothes she said "Fine, we won't buy anything then!"... Ah, she was playing dirty now. If I wanted all my other new school clothes or would have to accept the yellow cords. I wasn't a dumb kid, so I sat there and said, "let me look at them again". I held the yellow cords in my hands and then became a great actor (in my mind) and said, "well, these would go great with 'this' shirt or 'that' shirt", etc..... My mom got all excited and agreed with me. So I told her I wanted them, so she added them to the cart, and I was able to get all the other school clothes I picked out and the yellow cords. We took them home. I can actually say, I do not think I ever wore those yellow cords to school that whole year, and for some reason my mom never asked about them. (Hey Karie- this all happened up at Payless on Woodruff. I was doing my school shopping at Payless! no Penny's for me!)

Well, back to Sean. He ended up getting the green pants and we were all happy. I think he did the right thing and gave into Page.

2 comments:

Lacking Productivity said...

Had you saved those yellow babies, I bet they'd be worth a load on eBay these days...I'd bid on them!

Unknown said...

Loved the shopping stories -- yellow cords -- huh, those were the days.

Found your blog via a like interest in LDS.