Thursday, August 02, 2007

Bagpipping

I went to my first bagpipes lesson last night in Billings. I got my practice chanter and a lesson book. I've been wanting to learn the bagpipes for awhile now. I wanted to start in Lousiana, but the lessons fell on a night I had to be at church as the Bishop, so I had to defer my desire to learn the pipes. Then we moved to Montana and I saw a bagpipe band in the 4th of July parade. I still wanted to learn but thought since there was no local band to practice with, I was out of luck. Then I moved to Texas and looked around to see if there was a local band where I could get lessons, and couldn't find anything. Now I am in Wyoming, and I feel like if I ever am going to learn to play the pipes then I have to get more pro-active, so I contacted the band in Billings and they give free lessons every Wednesday night. After beginners are good enough, they let them join the band and they can perform with them. How cool is that? I actually contacted them last winter and was going to do it, but then got called as a ward missionary, and we did our visiting on Wednesday nights, so again, I couldn't make the lessons. Right now I have Wed. nights free so I made the big leap last night and went. Page came with me and she did some errands in Billings. So look for me at the next Livingston 4th of July parade, marching down the street in my kilt playing the bagpipes!

3 comments:

Lacking Productivity said...

Seriously, this is one of the coolest things ever. I LOVE bagpipes (who doesn't?). That is amazing you can learn for free...what a city! Good luck...and keep us posted...I want to hear all about it!

Jenn said...

Cool...way cool! My brother can play (not very well, but...)Good luck

Karie said...

You do have the legs for a kilt Mikey! I still remember you in the big bird outfit with the tights! I have 2 requests.....can you play at my funeral? and will you tell me what they wear underneath the kilt?