Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinckley passes away tonight


While I was flying home from Denver tonight, President Hinckley passed away. He was 97. We got a text from Sean, from BYU, as we were driving back from the Cody airport tonight. Sean said he passed away around 7 p.m. We got Sean's text at about 8:30 p.m. Sean said news spread through BYU within 10 minutes of his passing. Karie (in Orem, UT) also called us while still driving home from the airport, and I ended up calling my Mom in California who had not heard yet, so the Mormon grapevine is alive and well.

I love President Hinckley. He did so much to advance the church around the world, increasing the missions, building more temples than ever before, and reaching out to the world. He was truly a prophet of God. He is now rejoined with his beloved wife. I'm sure that he is having a happy reunion with her... that puts a smile on my face, but I am sure as the church members learn about this news, there will be much sadness too. Gordon B. Hinckley will be missed, but will always be loved by many. I feel fortunate I was able to go to the Priesthood session of general conference with Sean last Oct. to hear him at his last conference.
Our thoughts and prayers will be with the Hinckley family and also with Thomas S. Monson and his family as he takes on his new responsibilities as prophet, seer and revelator and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

1 comment:

Lacking Productivity said...

He will be missed, that is certain.