Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I might not vote Republican

I just read this on Newsmax:


Source: Huckabee Tops McCain VP List
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:46 AM

Former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee is at the top of the list of John McCain’s possible running mates, according to a top McCain fundraiser with ties to his inner circle.

Economic conservatives are likely to oppose the choice of Huckabee as McCain’s vice presidential candidate, given the populist tone of his campaign and his tax record as governor of Arkansas.
But in his “Capital Commerce” column for U.S. News & World Report, James Pethokoukis points to the fundraiser’s disclosure and cites several factors that could make Huckabee a strong asset for McCain.


For one thing, the former Baptist minister is a great campaigner who could garner support in the South among social conservatives and at the same time appeal to working-class voters in the crucial states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Huckabee would also appeal to many more voters on a “he cares about me” level than millionaire investor and possible vice presidential choice Mitt Romney, especially given all the turmoil on Wall Street this year.

Finally, even economic conservatives who might hesitate to back Huckabee would certainly favor him over the threat of Obamanomics and higher taxes across the board.

If Huckabee is on the GOP ticket, there is NO WAY that I will vote Republican this year. I have always voted Republican since I registered to vote in 1980, but I will never vote for a person that I think is a BIGOT. It was bad enough even considering to vote for McCann, but I felt if he picked a decent running mate, I would reconsider. Surely this isnt a done deal and McCann may pick another running mate, but I'm just saying IF it is Huckabee, the GOP just lost my vote. I have no interest in a Clinton or Obama Presidency either, but I will not support Huckabee under any circumstance!

3 comments:

Lacking Productivity said...

I don't know what to do about this election. Usually I lean toward one person, but this year I have no vested interest in any of the candidates. I am so disappointed.

Three Score and Ten or more said...

I recognize your feelings. I hope you are prepared for an Obama presidency. (As a teacher of Communication, I picked Obama as a likely future President the first time I heard him speak). After hearing McCain on the O'Reilly show, I honestly don't think he has a chance against Obama, but I will vote Republican because too many Supreme Court positions will likely be filled in the next four years. I enjoy your blog. I only get here about once a month but I have followed it since your first post about your hurricane trip. My son was down there about the same time from our Stake in Georgia.

Anonymous said...

...you have a blog fan