Monday, March 10, 2008

More on Boston


I had a great time in Boston. Here is the skyline of downtown taken from my hotel room across the Harbor. We would take a water taxi across the harbor at night to go eat dinner or take the subway that goes under the harbor. I had some good seafood (lobster, clam chowder, steamers, scallops...) and excellent Italian food in the north end. I even ate a traditional Irish breakfast at a real Irish pub. I got to shop in the Quincy Market place, walk the Freedom Trail to see a lot of the historic buildings of Boston. My friend Steve took me around one day. We had breakfast in Salem, saw the town of Salem, saw the USS Constitution, Cambridge, Harvard and MIT. I saw the band shell where Boston Pops play on the 4th of July. I saw the state capital, the church where Ben Franklin was baptized, and a lot more. I really liked Boston.



That tall monument is to honor the Battle of Bunker Hill. You can walk all the way up to the top. This photo was shot from my hotel room in East Boston.



I could also see the steeple of the old North Church from my hotel room too.



Here is the old State House. On March 5, 1770, the Boston Massacre took place right out front where the road is today. I was here on March 5th, the 238th anniversary of the massacre, so I got to go into the museum inside the old state house for free. Perfect timing!



You can still tour Paul Revere's House. It is the last standing house from the Colonial Boston days. It is just a few blocks from the Old North Church.



Here is the Old North Church. It is located in the North End. Remember, "one if by land, two if by sea". They placed the lanterns in this church's steeple.



Here is a statue of Paul Revere, with the Old North Church in the background. He is taking his midnight ride to warn "The British are coming!".



Remember the TV show, Cheers? Well, the Pub is here in Boston.


Before flying back to Wyoming on Thursday morning, I got up early and took the subway over to the north end to pick up some canoli at Mike's. YUMBO!!!


1 comment:

Karie said...

looks really fun! Sounds like you had a great time!