Saturday, December 16, 2006

Eragon

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I got into Livingston last night, with Lacey, at about 8 p.m., and we noticed that Eragon was playing in the local movie theater. We had to go see it! Eragon is adapted from the Christopher Paolini's novel of the same name. Paolini is from Livingston and a little older than Lacey. Sean was playing in the pep band at the high school basketball game, so we called him and told him to meet us at the theater at 9 p.m. The place was packed. A lot of buzz in this small town about Eragon, with the Livingston connection. The 7 pm show must have been sold out becuase hundreds of people were pouring out of the theater. The most common quote we heard "You won't like it if you read the book". I was prepared for that. I have read the book. I remember Sean and his friends being a little dissapointed with Harry Potter after reading the book, since you can't put all the detail into the movie that is in the book. Let me just say, I agree.... the book is so much better. When you know all the details in the book, you notice how the director skips over things you thought were important and you wonder how people who didn't read the book are going to know that. It also is wierd how at times the director will totally disregard what is in the book and change it a little. However, I did like the movie. It did seem like a low budget film compared to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings... my two favorite movies. So I was a little dissapointed in that. My favorite character wasn't even human. I think they got Saphira, the dragon, right. She was just as I pictured her in my mind. The movie was only about an hour and 40 minutes long, so they had to rush everything. Not enough time to really bring out the struggles of Eragon and his preparation by Brom and the development of his use of magic. Oh well, and I hate to be rude, but I thought the fairy princess would be a lot prettier. I also don't thing the movie did a good job in introducing some of the characters. If I didn't read the book, I would not have known a lot about who they are. I guess when they film Eldest (book 2) they will draw these characters out more, I hope. I would say it's worth going to see this movie just to see Saphira. What a dragon!

No comments: