Wednesday, September 28, 2005

I found gas!

Hurray!, I was able to get gas today for my truck. Only a few stations are open and usually have long lines. I was heading back to my office from the Evacuee Shelter this morning when I saw Brookshires didn't have too long of a line. I took advantage of it and filled up. I'm glad because I was down to 1/4 of a tank.

We still have a lot of evacuees in the area and people are still without power. FEMA is distributing food, ice and water at the Albertsons to help people. But slowly, things are trying to get back to normal, except our New Orlean and Beaumont evacuees probably will be staying for awhile. Houston evacuees are all heading home.

I worked at the Civic Center shelter all day yesterday and didnt get home until almost 9 p.m. Our shelter had all the medical needs people. I was taking sample drugs from my clinic over to help patients who were out of their prescriptions. I also worked the front desk checking people in. I helped old men in wheelchairs to the bathroom. I cleaned toilets, I helped serve food. I let lots of people use my cell phone who were trying to reach loved ones. I felt especially bad for an elderly woman in her 90s that said her dog was still in the house down in Port Arthur. I didn't know what to do for her. I knew the dog was in real trouble and no way to help. There were so many good people volunteering their time. One young girl came up and asked if we had any oxygen tanks for her grandpa. He was stuck in their house out of town. When I said yes (FEMA donated lots of oxygen tanks for those that needed them to breath, she about passed out. She said she just knew I wouldn't be able to help her. So I carried to tanks out to her car. Small things like that really made me feel good that we could help people in need. Churches were bringing in food all day to feed these people too. We moved into a good community. Last night we bused a lot of the sick to a facility in Fort Worth. They didn't want to leave because we treated them so well, but we needed to send them to a place where they had better living conditions and better access to healthcare for the long term. I have a feeling some of these people won't be going home for months, if they even have a home to go to.

Our church finally got its electricity back yesterday. I'm glad because our evacuees were living in 100 degree heat without relief. Sean's school is still out until Monday because evacuees are living in the school. Sean is getting bored just sitting at home. But we are all ok. We have electricity, food and water. I'm grateful because many do not. The Lord is looking out for us.

1 comment:

Lacey Huhnke said...

Sheesh that tree was big!